Senator Obama made the following during his acceptance speech on August 28, 2008:
For over two decades, he’s [John McCain] subscribed to that old, discredited Republican philosophy – give more and more to those with the most and hope that prosperity trickles down to everyone else. In Washington, they call this the Ownership Society, but what it really means is – you’re on your own. Out of work? Tough luck. No health care? The market will fix it. Born into poverty? Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps – even if you don’t have boots. You’re on your own.
Here are some more ‘you’re-on-your-own’ examples:
- If you believe as the social conservative Republicans believe, John & Sarah will support you. If not, you’re on your own.
- If your a business man of any level of wealth, J&S will support cutting your taxes so you don’t have to support the infrastructure that helps their business succeed. If you’re unemployed, you’re on your own because you must have screwed up.
- If you are unborn, they support your life over all others. If you were raped, by anyone, and you think the rapist shouldn’t be a father or your own life is at risk and you have other children that need you, you’re on your own.
- If your company makes excessive profits and pays excessive executive salaries, you and the company should be given more tax breaks. If you have to pay an excessive amount of your income on high priced gasoline, you’re on your own.
- If you’re from a nation with resources that make our economy run and are suffering from a cruel dictator who might implement the next holocaust, J&S will send your children to dump the dictator, save you from evil and prevent some future imaginary 9/11. If you’re from a nation with nothing and those you love are being killed by fellow citizens, you’re on your own.
- If you can provide information about enemies of interest to them, J&S will protect you from prosecution for violation of our laws. If your name ends up on the terrorist watch list, you’re on your own.
- If a company sells patented drugs and it pays high fees to other companies for expensive television advertising, J&S will prevent access to generic drugs. If you need patented drugs and you don’t have health insurance, you’re on your own.
- If you use torture on our enemies because the enemy does, J&S approve and will protect you from prosecution. If you’re tortured, you’re not only on your own, you’re presumed guilty, so torture is OK.
- If you own a company and want to cut costs, J&S are OK with anything you do. If your place of work has has been shut down and your job has left the country, you’re on your own. If your employer doesn’t provide or no longer offers a retirement plan, you’re on your own. If your employer doesn’t provide or no longer offers paid sick leave, you’re on your own.
- If you have done a lousy job managing your large investment company, J&S will rescue you and your excessive unwarranted salary and benefits. If you were coned into a home loan from this same company, you’re on your own.
- If you do ‘right,’ as they define it, J&S will make sure you are free from persecution. If they redefine what is wrong or accuse you of a wrong, you’re on your own.
- If you’re a self starter or just born into a rich family that helps them get elected, J&S will help you any way they can. If you need some coaching and and might vote against them, you’re on your own.
- If you’re a born-again Christian with unquestioning respect for authority figures, welcome to the J&S fan club. If not, watch your step – you’re on your own.
- If you accepted another reassignment to a battle zone, they have a ribbon on the back of their truck to remember you by. If you’re suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome, you’re on your own.
- If you’re are arrested as an enemy combatant based on hearsay, you’re on your own.
It all comes down to this: If you don’t believe in, believe as and do as they do, you’re on your own.